Friday, April 13, 2012

When to Wear White

A lot of questions came in after my White Out post this week, all of them asking when it is okay to start wearing white jeans.  Do you really have to wait until after Memorial Day?

My answer is no, don't wait, just use some common sense.  I wear white jeans all year, but I do it in a seasonally appropriate way.  The appropriateness of white is based more on the fabric and style of what you pair with it and less on the color -- or lack of color.

As I've mentioned, I like a skinny or straight leg, but feel free to replace this with a boot cut jean or a more traditional white trouser.


For the Fall








White Jeans in the Fall


I definitely wear white jeans in the fall.  Look back at pictures of Jackie O in her publishing days walking around NYC and you'll see her in a similar look. The contrast of black and white is classic.  Because you are tucking the jeans into the boot, you see half as much white as you would with another shoe.

There is something so chic about a pair of riding boots.  The boot featured, by Frye, is my go to boot in the cold months.  I have more than got my money's worth from them! This is the perfect outfit to run some errands in, especially when you know you are going to be in and out of the car all afternoon.  A simple long sleeve tee, investment coat, and structured bag make this an elegant and sophisticated look. 

For the Late Fall/ Early Spring
White Jeans in the Spring




I L.O.V.E. this look -- simple, casual, and filled with visual interest.  For me, the best outfit is the kind where one piece doesn't jump out, it just all meshes together nicely.  Clearly, I am obsessed with these animal print flats from Madewell since this is the 3rd or 4th time I have featured them.  I also really like the contrast between the navy and white long sleeve tee and the edginess of the leather jacket.  It seems effortless and modern.  Finish it with a poppy red tote and you're set.  I would keep the accessories simple: a delicate gold chain and maybe a funky cocktail ring.  

For the Spring/Summer

White Jeans Spring


Light and airy, just like a warm weather outfit should be.  I used a long sleeve blouse because most of my clients freak out over showing their arms.  Also, I think this is for a cool night or inside a restaurant when the AC is cranking.  It's hard to tell from the picture but the blouse from J.Crew has lovely, delicate detailing.  Its cut allows the fabric to just fall away from your body.  I chose an earring with movement and a heavy cuff -- again, I like contrast, it creates balance.  Finally, a simple and affordable flat sandal keeps the look casual.  It adds to the outfit without overwhelming it, which a stacked heeled shoe or elaborate pump would.

No matter the season, there's no need to be scared of wearing white jeans -- they have such a crisp, fresh look, and you really can't get that with other shades of denim.  Where can you see yourself wearing white jeans this spring?



0 comments: