I am so crazy for this necklace that I decided to give it it’s own post. It’s like nothing I have in my closet and way out of my normal aesthetic. While it’s certainly untraditional, somehow, it goes with just about anything. I picked it up for our upcoming trip to Napa. Wear it with a simple white tee, a striped shirt in black and white or navy and white, a solid-colored dress, or layer under a collared shirt. You can easily wear it in the fall too with a navy or black cashmere sweater, or over a wool dress. These are one of the those pieces that will help me feel hip, even though I know I’m not.
Tuesday, July 28, 2015
I have ben wearing scarves for years – when they were in style, out of style, and now all the rage. I love vivid silk prints. How do I wear and style them to keep from looking too matronly? – Diane
I love scarves! They are a big part of my wardrobe. Scarves come in and out of vogue but are always in fashion. There is always a generation of young women incorporating scarves into their look. We’ve seen them strung through belt loops, tied to handbags and woven into hair. You can wear them traditionally, or experiment with something different.
In terms of what will keep you looking modern, focus on all the other elements of your look, rather than the scarf. If the line of your clothes, the style of your hair, your bag and shoes, are all current, your look will be modern.
If you have bold, bright patterned scarves, keep all the other elements of your look simple. Focus on clean, slim, modern lines. If you have some vintage scarves from coveted designers like Hermes or YSL – bring them out!
We pulled some of our favorite pictures to help inspire you to incorporate what you already have in new and fresh ways.
Monday, July 27, 2015
As a professional woman, you know that you have it all. You are intelligent, and up-to-date on the current events across the globe. You can carry a conversation with the employee in the cubicle next to you, or the leader of the entire organization. You have a stellar work wardrobe, complete with functional pieces that allow you to look both confident and professional. You love your career, and it’s blossoming into something very exciting for you. However, all of that is a wash if you don’t have presence when you walk into a room.
In many ways, your presence is the key to your success. You need to walk into a room with confidence, yet avoid being arrogant. You need to be cool, calm and collected in the middle of stressful situations. You need to look at a challenge as an opportunity, and offer creative yet effective solutions in a few quick moments.
Tips for Improving Your Corporate Presence
- Dress appropriately and professionally, and make sure you feel comfortable in the clothes that you are wearing. You don’t need to buy the latest power suit that was released by your favorite designer in order to have a more powerful impact on people around you. Instead, buy a well-fitting, classic suit that you can afford. Invest in proper tailoring so that it fits your body and your build, and makes you look absolutely fantastic. When you are wearing clothes that are designed to fit you, you will feel more confident and will have a better presence amongst your colleagues.
- Breathe deeply, and speak slowly. If you are breathing rapidly and speaking quickly, it might appear like you are nervous or unsure of yourself. This will not allow you to have a positive impact on those around you. Speak clearly, and use conviction when you speak. Don’t just say what you have to say — mean it. This is the best way to convince others of the point you are trying to make, and it will give you a more professional presence in the workplace.
- Practice your presentations. Videotape yourself and practice in front of those in your household for immediate feedback. You can never practice your presentation too much, because it will make your speaking sound more natural and allow you to focus on the overall experience for the listener. Don’t take it personal when people criticize your speaking skills — they just want to help you succeed. In addition to practicing on your own, take on as many presentation opportunities as possible in order to give you more experience with it. The more you present to a group of professionals, the better you will be at it. When you feel comfortable in this situation, your professional presence automatically improves.
- Focus on positive thoughts. When you think good thoughts, you will feel better and it will show. If you walk into a crowded room and you are filled with negative feelings or anguish, anxiety or frustration, then you will not be able to overcome those emotions in order to improve your presence. Walk into your next networking event, and remind yourself that you are going to rock it. You are smart, you are accomplished, and you look incredible. Don’t let all of that go to waste with a weak presence. Be strong and proud of who you are.
- Use your body language to your advantage. Stand up tall, keep your shoulders back and look people in the eye. Offer a firm handshake, and a welcoming smile. Your body language communicates far more than your words do, and it’s a wonderful way to establish a strong and effective presence in the room.
In order to climb the corporate ladder, you need to have a powerful presence. You need to be seen as a potential leader, someone who can be influential yet fair. Somebody who can do great things, without letting it all go to her head. When you exhibit a positive presence, you will be remembered by those who matter most. Your every action influences your overall presence, so be in control of your thoughts, your words and your body language at all time. Before you know it, you will have the executive presence that you need in order to become the next star of your industry.
Chic of the Week is one of our more time-consuming posts. Some weeks it feels like it takes forever to find a worthy picture. Lately, there has been a lot of Kardashians in various inappropriate get-ups and countless supermodels in swimwear. I was just about to give up on this one when I came across this picture of Jessica Alba. It’s different from anything we’ve featured. It feels current and trendy without looking ridiculous. I love that it’s a casual weekend look that doesn’t involve jeans. The best part? You may already have some of these items in your closet.
Friday, July 24, 2015
This week Christine and I attended the National Speakers Association convention in Washington D.C. It was amazing, and we are exhausted. Even in the midst of our booked week we were able to sneak out for an hour and hit a few stores. The Anthropologie in Georgetown is fabulous. I love a graphic tee so; I couldn’t resist this one with its classic quote from Audrey Hepburn. I’m wearing it with lived in jeans and a lightweight blazer for casual drinks with friends.
In my never ending quest to find the perfect, most realistic and low maintenance self-tanner, I picked up St. Tropez Self Tan Perfect Leg Spray before I left for our convention. I had a packed schedule leading up to the conference that left me no time for a tan, so I threw this in my bag right before I left. The conference was jammed packed, will little time between sessions and night time events. On Sunday night, I threw on a white cocktail dress and realized just how pale my legs looked. There, standing in my white dress, I sprayed this my St. Tropez mitt, wiped on my legs and arms, and left for the night. There was not a drop on my dress and absolutely no odor. I was shocked. I wouldn’t use this head to toe (that’s not the purpose), and I would avoid taking this into a pool or a day a the beach. They have better products for that. This is best on days when you could use a bit of color while wearing a dress or a pair of shorts. It took seconds to apply and gave me just enough color to help me look glowing and healthy. Check out the Instagram photo here.
French Market Hanger, $30
One of my girlfriends is getting married this October. I discovered this lovely metal hanger (available in gold or silver) and quickly picked it up for her. She can use it to hang her gown for the obligatory wedding gown photo and keep as a memento of her big day. It’s the perfect little token to give a bride at her shower, bachelorette party or just because.
When it comes to choosing colors for my face, I’m a novice. My skin color changes dramatically with the seasons and even with ample sunscreen, I am much darker in the summer. This throws a major hiccup into my makeup routine, especially my under eye area. Maybelline’s Instant Age Rewind for Dark Circles has been on my drugstore list to try for awhile, but the idea of finding the right color on my own was holding me back. Then I found the brightening option. It’s a pink base which according to opposites on the color wheel, should combat the blueish discoloration of my under eye. I am happy to report that it’s been a dream come true. If your under eye area has more of a green undertone, try the Neutralizing option that is more yellow to contrast your discoloration. Remember to pat, not rub the under eye area, use your ring finger for an even gentler application.
Vince Drape Neck Jacket, $650
On my last client shopping appointment, our Nordstrom salesperson/rock star, Tifph, pulled this jacket and every single person who saw it wanted it for themselves. The color is quintessential fall, and the leather is so soft it could melt in your hand. It’s also a strongly versatile piece and can go over dark blue jeans on the weekend as easily as it can drape an autumn multi-colored sheath dress for work.
I wore these shoes at the conference Meg and I attended in DC this weekend. They were fantastic. I wore them with jeans and blazers during the day, one night with Joie jogger pants and a silk tank and another night with a slim Milly sleeveless scuba dress. They were comfortable, stylish, and the neutral color gave me the effortless look to be confident in my image. Aside from their versatility, they are on sale from $140 to under $20, and a good selection of sizes are still available!